Tuesday, August 26, 2008

BOOKS I am reading

No sooner then I tell my Mom that I can read only one book at a time, or I will get the characters and plots confused, I find my self head first in THREE books!
But first, I would like to tell you about the last book we read for book club....
DEADLINE by Randy Alcorn
I am torn about this book, I enjoyed many aspects of the book, but I felt it was very heavy handed in its "right wing ideologies" and it's references to God and who goes to Heaven and Hell. Of course the author has written many "Christian books, both non-fiction and fiction. Also, It cover a whole lot of hot button topics for one reading. Although, I can not state that I LOVED it, but I didn't hate it either.

WICKED by Gregory Maguire

Wicked........... Man I am getting an obsession about this.
I am dying to see the Broadway musical, but it won't becoming to Greenville until 2010. I was intrigued to find out the musical was based on this book and wanted to read it. In case you don't know what it is about (though because I am obsessed, I assume everyone else is too) It is the story of the Wicked Witch of the West before she became "wicked" and let me just clue you in "Glinda, the good witch" seems more wicked than her counterpart.
I am mid way through the book and have hit a bit of a lull but I think that also may be because I have many books on my plate and not a whole lot of time to read.




THE CASE FOR FAITH (STUDENT EDITION) by Lee Strobel
My good friend, Ben, gave me this to look over, because we have had many a discussion about faith, church, god, heaven and hell. It has been an interesting read and I have read almost 1/2 the book, it only has 100 pages and Dave and I are getting together with Ben and his wife next week and I think it will be very interesting.
In my discussions with Ben, I try to speak Dave's thoughts and when I talk to Dave I try to speak Ben's thoughts and I promise you I do neither well.
This is the title for our next book club selection....
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and I have until 9/4 to read it so I have to pause my reading of Wicked. This book is written through a collection of correspondences post WWII. I have only read a few of the letters and I am already intrigued.

1 comment:

Joie and Kurt Hauschild said...

Let me tell you that WICKED is the BEST MUSICAL I HAVE EVER SEEN! IF you can, try to make a trip to Chicago to see it...it is worth the trip!!